Gists

Winners Emerge at SMPN Ten Awards

The Students Media Personalities Nigeria (SMPN), on Saturday 9th January 2021, hosted her maiden edition of the awards night tagged “Celebrating Excellence Within.”. The event which held virtually in line with COVID-19 protocols started at 07:00pm in a Whatsapp group, and delivered a thrilling award experience to everybody.
“Last year, was a difficult one, but that has no hold on us as we deemed it worthy to celebrate and reward excellence to our distinguished members. I’m really excited as today’s a special day for us, as we’ve looked at this happening for some time, and as an organization, we’ve achieved a lot virtually”, says Anthony Dimnwaka (convener of SMPN, aka DEVOYCE) while delivering his opening address.
DEVOYCE added, “this event is to show that we see what every member is doing and also recognises the efforts to making sure that the SMPN dream doesn’t die.”
One of the sponsors of the SMPN TEN AWARDS, Mr. Ohimai Godwin Ohiaze, narrated extensively how he joined various press organizations during his undergraduate days at the premier University of Ibadan. “I joined various press clubs in school ranging from the Association of English Students, then the Union of Campus Journalists where I served as the president in 2006.”
Mr. Ohimai also admonished the students not to joke with whatever is being taught in the online forum as it is a product of his intentional journalistic activities. He further look forward to more collaboration from the Student Media Personalities of Nigeria (SMPN).
Some of the keynote speakers and sponsors for the event include Olugbade Damola, Paul Alasiri, Ohimai Godwin Amaize (aka Mr Fix Nigeria), Lekan Otufodunrin (an Associate Lecturer at the Nigerian Institute of Journalism). Lekan Otufodunrin delivered justice to the topic: How To Effectively Leverage On Media To Be A Star.
In addition, he gave insights and practical tips on how to become a media star which are as follows: Being knowledgeable as much as you should in whatever area of your expertise you are known for. Seek internship and learn a lot to grow in the industry. By volunteering to showcase your talents.
He reiterated that the attendants should take advantage of opportunities offered by media NGOs and support organizations for training. “Make professional use of social media to promote yourself as an authority in the content you have. Monitor trends and know when to ride on the wave length. Come up with new ideas and concepts and be acknowledged for them. Lastly, have goals you want to achieve, with timelines, to be sure you are making reasonable progress.”
There are ten (10) awards in two categories: the voting and non voting stage. The voting category has three nominees for each position, the selected winners are; Ayomide Sotubo, Director, Smpn Lasu (Leadership Award); Olabode Olufemi, SMPN OAU (Innovation Award); Wisdom Oyedotun, Director, SMPN OAU (Creativity Award); Tolulope Egun, Media Director, SMPN (Rising Star Award); and lastly, Lagos State University for the Chapter of the Year Award.
The non voting phase includes: Susan Uko Lily, Vice President of SMPN National (Award for Excellence); Moses Adikwu, Director of SMPN Unijos (Selflessness Award); Deborah Yunana, Welfare Secretary of Unijos (Welfare Award), Anthony Dimnwaka, Convener of SMPN (Special Recognition Award); and the SMPN Leadership Team (Tagged the SMPN 11 Award for our 11 best leaders)
1 Ayomide Sotubo – Director, SMPN Lasu
2 Faithella Agunloye – Co-team leader Fuoye
3 Moses Adikwu – Team Leader Unijos
4 Bello Oladele – Team Leader Fuoye
5 Wisdom Oyedotun – Team Lead OAU
6 Anu Onabolu – Chief Editor Crawford
7 Obega Favour – National Media Team
8 Osare Ogbeide – National Media Team
9 Blessing Alasa – HR, SMPN
10 Tolu Egun – Media Director, SMPN
11 Susan Uko Lily -Vice Chairman, SMPN National Council

Recall that, SMPN is a media hub for training media personalities, and currently boasts of twelve (12) chapters across Nigerian tertiary institutions, and two pre-schools which are in the process of becoming chapters.
In conclusion, the Vice Chairman of SMPN National, Susan Uko Lily, appreciated everyone present at the event. In her words: “All I can say is THANK YOU!!!!. Y’all made this happen tonight and without you there’s no SMPN. I believe that this is just the beginning of more and more achievements in this organization as a time would come when the world would give anything to be a part of SMPN.”

Similar Posts